I’m sure that Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss Teen South Carolina, is a bright, articulate young woman — not to mention stunningly beautiful. But you wouldn’t know it listening to her response to a simple question during the recent Miss Teen USA pageant.
Note the pageant host working hard to stifle a laugh.
So why does Miss Upton do beauty pageants? To improve her communication skills. I think she has quite a few more pageants to go.
UPDATE: Even funnier than the video, were the titles of the some of the blogs commenting on the incident:
- Both Beauty and…Well, She Has Beauty
- She’d make a great news anchor
- One Child Left Behind: Didn’t Anyone Tell Her The Correct Answer Is Always, “World Peace”?
- She Done Bleached Out All Her Smarts!
- Swim to Iraq, and Then Take a Left at South Africa…
- Please Tell Me This Child Isn’t My Future
- Miss Teen South Carolina 2007 answers a trick question
- Miss Teen South Carolina Speaks. Sort Of.
- It’s important for your age and IQ to match
- At least it wasn’t Miss Louisiana
- Your Government Schools at Work
- Where Blonde Jokes come from!
- Maybe we could borrow South Africa’s maps?
- reason #786 why we homeschool
- She’s Eligible to Vote, Too
- Beauty Pageant Word Scramble
And my personal favorite: